Usability testing is ideal when you are looking to gather rich qualitative feedback from your customers and learn about the navigation, branding, functionality, value proposition and content of an interface. Our team has conducted usability research on Websites, Intranets, software applications, iPhone/iPad apps, social media tools and handheld devices. While it’s ideal to test at multiple stages of a project's development, even one day of 1 on 1 interviews on a live site can have a huge impact on your success. We've completed engagements at all stages of development - paper prototypes, wireframes, HTML prototypes, Beta sites a few days before launch and on live interfaces.
To accommodate our clients we’ve done usability testing in three types of settings:
- Lab based testing at facilities in over 20 US and Europe cities
- Office based for in-house Intranets and internal applications
- Remote testing for tight budgets and a geographic mix
Feel free to watch video clips from one of our usability studies to learn more.
A usability test will help your organization…
- Learn whether your users understand the value proposition of a mobile or desktop interface
- Pinpoint specific areas of an interface (e.g. navigation, content, functionality) that require modifications
- Gain an understanding of shifts in customer perceptions, buying habits and attitudes regarding your brand
- Feel empowered during the decision making process regarding the next phase of development
- Save development time and avoid the expense of major post-launch revisions
- Improve acquisition and retention rates
- Uncover critical glitches that might cause site abandonment
- Minimize the risk of launching a site that does not adequately address user needs
1. Where can testing be conducted?
Almost anywhere. First Insights has conducted lab based usability tests in over 20 cities in the US and Europe. We maintain our own package of mobile digital video equipment and can also set up one-on-one interviews remotely or in a quiet office at your location. Either way, we take care of all the logistical planning.
2. How much does usability testing cost?
Although there are various types of test formats, a good rule of thumb is to spend about 10% of your total Website / interface development budget on usability testing. Contact us for more pricing details.
3. How much time does a standard project take from start to finish?
A typically usability testing project involves the following:
- Preparation: 7 – 10 days for recruitment, interface review, moderator’s guide developing & facility selection
- Testing: 1 – 3 days of actual testing sessions with six to eight participants per day
- Results: 7 – 8 days of report preparation and delivery
4. Is usability testing just for Websites?
Nope. Usability testing is a critical exercise when developing an Intranet, Extranet, widget, social media tool, mobile device or proprietary software solution.
5. What if I don’t have the time or budget for usability testing?
You may want to try a heuristic evaluation. These 5 - 15 day projects are an excellent way of gathering feedback on a Web site or Intranet. Typically we have two specialists complete heuristic evaluations and base their findings on a standard set of "heuristics" or generally accepted principles that apply to a well-built interface.
For more on our services or methodology feel free to contact us with any questions.